Straight from Wikipedia, a Push Present is defined as:
“ A push present is a present a father gives to the mother to mark the occasion of her giving birth to their child. In practice the present may be given before or after the birth, or even in the delivery room. The giving of push presents has supposedly grown in the United States in recent years. A push gift is any type of present loved ones give to a woman who has recently given birth to a child. There is no conclusive evidence that the present was invented by the jewelry industry to sell more goods, and until recently it was passed on largely by word of mouth or peer pressure among both mothers and fathers. According to Linda Murray, the executive editor of BabyCenter, "It's an expectation of moms these days that they deserve something for bearing the burden for nine months, getting sick, ruining their body. The guilt really gets piled on." Other sources trace the development of the present to the increased assertiveness of women, allowing them to ask for a present more directly, or the increased involvement of the men in pregnancy, making them more informed of the pain and difficulty of pregnancy and Labor. “
So, immediately after my first child was born, which was long and painful and very scary at one point, what I got as a push present was the disgusted comment that I still looked pregnant. I guess push presents weren’t invented 11 years ago. 🙄
With my next baby (and next husband) I got diamond earrings. Well, I got to trade up my old diamonds for some new ones. Totally happy with that though! That gift was called my push present, even though I hadn’t actually done any pushing yet. (Ironically, I barely pushed at all! My youngest just popped out!)
While every woman is different in the gifts she appreciates, one thing is for sure..after harboring another living thing inside her, then going through the process of it coming out, new moms deserve something at the end of that ride!
Here’s a few ideas I gathered from some other mommas on what would have been appreciated:
1. Massage/Spa time. Oh, yes!!! Thank goodness I had an amazing angel of a friend who gave me a gift card for a spa day, right after my first baby was born. I hustled my still pregnant looking body 🙄 over there and it was so much relief I cried. I also didn’t want to leave. 😆 There has been so much evidence based research on the benefits of post natal massage, it crazy that it isn’t in every hospital yet!
Local to the O’Fallon, IL area? If so, here’s some great way for new mom to be pampered:
2. House Cleaning. Do I need to explain this one really? After 9 months of not feeling like cleaning, do you think new mom wants to worry about that for the first month after giving birth?! No. Just, no. Hiring a cleaning service for the first 6 mos of baby’s life is a very good idea.
Local to O’Fallon, IL? Here’s a great cleaning company!
3. Jewelry- diamonds are forever, which is probably how long her labor time felt. Totally ok and nice to give that tangible token of acknowledging her feat!
4. Subscription services. Nobody likes trying to fit all that toilet paper, diapers, and other stuff in the cart with that giant car seat in there!
5. A new rocking recliner. The Cadillac of them all. Momma’s gonna spend a lot of time in it.
6. A better smartphone or tablet...Because she has to stay awake somehow during the late night feedings in her comfy chair!
Six seems like a great place to stop, but I know the ideas are endless. The point is, the anniversary of the day she gives birth will forever more be celebrated by the child getting gifts....I think that first “birthday” should be all about giving mom gifts to celebrate the life she sustained and delivered!
What are are your thoughts?